Saturday, June 20, 2009

The First Post

Since this is the first post of the new blog I feel like I should lead off with something profound and meaningful, but what the heck, I got squat. What I'll talk about instead in this post is what I created this blog for. I touch on it on the sidebar, but let me go into a little more detail here.

I'm a writer that wants to work in the comic book industry. Years ago (we'll go into how many years ago in another post, I don't want to feel that old right now) I actually was a writer in the comic book industry. Don't worry if you haven't heard of me. I never wrote for either of the Big Two. My words appeared in comic books from such publishers as Fantagraphics, Innovation, Malibu, Kitchen Sink and others.

All this was long enough ago that any contacts I made have either moved on or forgotten about me. This unfortunately also includes most of the artists I once worked with. Not that I can blame them, they couldn't wait around for me to decide that I wanted to write again. I pretty much moved away from writing comics and I thought that was that.

But some dreams die hard, and I've realized that I still want to write comic books. So here I am again, trying to break in.

So what does a writer need to break in? An artist! It's hard to get very far in a visual medium like comic books without an artist. And that's what I'm doing here. Looking for artists that want to work with a writer and try to sell something to the comic publishers.

I'm looking for artists that want to take a chance together with me and try to work up some proposals to submit to the different comic book publishers. Maybe try our hand at a web comic, I've got a few ideas that I think would make some great web comics.

This blog is going to showcase my past work, to give prospective artists an idea of what I am capable of. I'm going to talk about my past struggles in breaking in, my small triumphs. Anyone interested should drop me a line or make a comment.

I have no idea if this is going to work or just prove to be some big sort of joke, but I figure it's worth a shot.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

  1. Thanks...it's tough to find artists. I really wish I could draw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John - thanks so much for stopping by my post May You Live in Interesting Times and leaving your thoughts.

    As you might know I am an artist - though I've never considered myself a comic or graphic novel artist, but if I can help you out in some way just holler!

    http://popartdiva.com

    ReplyDelete